Eric Mill, on 03 October 2016 03:14, said..
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Nick Lamb <tialara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday, 2 October 2016 20:53:15 UTC+1, Peter Bowen  wrote:
> > > There is some good news.  The CA/Browser Forum has already addressed
> > > this, even prior to the current discussions. Ballot 169
> > > (https://cabforum.org/2016/08/05/ballot-169-revised-
> > validation-requirements/)
> > > revises 3.2.2.4 considerably.
> >
> > I'm aware of Ballot 169
> >
> > > Under the new rules, which should be in
> > > effect as of 1 March 2017, validating www.<domain> will not be a valid
> > > method of showing control of <domain>.  The name is true for any valid
> > > hostname under <domain>.  The only note is that names in the form
> > > _<something>.<domain> (that is starting with an underscore) can be
> > > used to validate <domain>.
> >
> > I wish I shared your confidence. My expectation is that if we leave this
> > as it is, in April 2017 subscribers will still be able to get a
certificate
> > issued using this lackadaisical validation, and the issuing CA will say
> > they feel it's not "really" disobeying the rules, that it's just a
> > "technicality" and anyway what's the harm, it's so much more convenient
> for
> > their customers this way?
> >
> > Comodo's document never actually says that they're abolishing this
"rule"
> > as a result of Ballot 169. It lets you choose to draw that implication,
by
> > specifying that their current practices pre-date Ballot 169's changes,
but
> > it never says as much. Hence I think Mozilla's rep should take this to
> > CA/B, or it should go in one of the bulk CA communications, to find out
at
> > least how widespread the crazy is and whether it's even consistent in
how
> > it works from one CA to the next.
> >

> It would be nice for Comodo to make it explicit that this practice will
> cease when Ballot 169 takes effect, and the lack of an explicit update
> jumped out at me immediately when I read it. But the BRs post-169 seem
> crystal clear on this, and I don't think CAs would be able to write off
> this practice as a technicality or misinterpretation.
>
> -- Eric

I'm happy to state definitively that this practice will cease when Ballot
169 takes effect.

To avoid suggestions of weasel-words around the CA/B forum's struggle with
their IP policy my understanding is that at least Microsoft, and I hope
other browsers too, will incorporate the Ballot 169 wording into their
policy regardless of whether the CA/B has ratified it by then.

Comodo will have implemented some or all of the new validation methods
described in Ballot 169 before 1 March 2017.
Comodo will be withdrawing any and all validation methods which do not
conform with Ballot 169, and/or which rely on the pre-Ballot 169 3.2.2.4.7
'any-other-equivalent method' rule before 1 March 2017.

Regards
Robin Alden
Comodo