Hi Jakob,

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> I read his previous answer as saying that the system will in no case
> extend the validity of a validation beyond the duration of the
> certificate in which it was originally listed (that duration being
> clearly visible in the certificates in question).

For the avoidance of doubt or confusion, I suspect it would be best for
Doug to be able to answer the questions posed to Doug :)

> The only corner cases seemingly not answered are these:
>
> Does GlobalSign allow (for this product) that initial inclusion of a SAN
> within a subscription period to be accepted based on a previous
> validation occurring more than 39 months before the last permitted
> certificate reissuance with added/removed SANs?

I'm having trouble understanding what you're asking here. While I may be
the only one confused, perhaps you can reword this question?

> Does GlobalSign allow other certificate products that can be freely
> reissued within their validity period to be based on validation data
> that could exceed the 39 month age limit before the certificate and its
> reissuance option expires?

This is a similar question which I personally find confusingly worded, so
perhaps you can expand.

> Conversely there are questions about what the BRs requires in such
> corner cases:
>
> Do the BRs require the 39 month age limit to be satisfied when a
> certificate is reissued with unchanged subject data and expiry date,
> (but with new serial and public key), thus expiring less than the BR
> permitted maximum validity duration after an original issuance date
> within that 39 month limit?

The Baseline Requirements do not define reissue. Every certificate is new
issuance. There is no such thing as "reissue", even if two certificates are
markedly similar in various aspects.

The Baseline Requirements allow you to validate at T=0, issue at T=38 for
L=39, where T means 'time' (and 38 just means 'one second before 39
months') and L means lifetime.

However, if a new certificate is issued - with new serial and public key,
at T=40, the Baseline Requirements require this information be revalidated.

> That's a bit harsh on the subscriber (for a simple failure to notify),
> but probably within the legal requirements of the BRs.

Why is it harsh? CAs are required to revoke such certificates. The fact
that the Subscriber Agreement was simply one way of describing the
Revocation Requirements. GlobalSign is equally obligated to revoke under
4.9.1.1, Item 6, which states

"6. The CA is made aware of any circumstance indicating that use of a
Fully-Qualified Domain Name or IP
address in the Certificate is no longer legally permitted (e.g. a court or
arbitrator has revoked a Domain Name
Registrant’s right to use the Domain Name, a relevant licensing or services
agreement between the Domain
Name Registrant and the Applicant has terminated, or the Domain Name
Registrant has failed to renew the
Domain Name); "