Cut:
> An unwatched RA and a sub-CA are effectively equivalent in power. A
> watched RA and a sub-CA might not be, if the CA is exercising
> effective control and limits on their issuance. There is a distinction
> in the BRs between an RA and a sub-CA, with the RA having less onerous
> requirements. One could say that the very existence of that
> distinction implies that CAs have a duty to carefully watch their RAs.

The equivalency of power is not true most of the time.  The term RA/DTP
covers a lot of different roles. For example, four commonly used roles are:
1) An entity that does the translation of documents for the CA as defined in
the EV Guidelines
2) An entity that gathers the validation documents and submits them to the
CA for review in the validation process
3) An entity that identifies the subject identity information for a
certificate (for example, in some schools the department may provide the
identity proofing of a student that is getting a certificate)
4) An entity that provides verification of the entire certificate contents.

Although #3 and #4 should perhaps be audited, by applying a broad
requirement you end up capturing a lot more delegated entities than
intended. The broad and diverse role of DTPs in the ecosystem is why the
audit requirements in Section 8.4 were written to only require audits over
those that provide domain validation.  Whatever policy is decided, I'm
hoping we can exclude translators and entities that are merely gathering
documentation.

Jeremy