On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> I see it as part of the underlying reasoning.  Mozilla et al wants
> disclosure in order to take action if the disclosed facts are deemed
> unacceptable (under policy or otherwise).  Upon receiving the
> disclosure, the root program gains the ability to take counteractions,
> such as protesting to the issuing CA, or manually blocking the unwanted
> SubCA cert via mechanisms such as OneCRL.  The rules don't make the CAs
> wait for the root programs to get upset, but must allow at least zero
> time for this time to happen.

That's not correct.

> I believe you're suggesting simultaneously across all root programs, is
>>>>

>>> Yes, across all root programs, that is the key point, see #0.

You're still incorrect here.

> Also, it is argued as a logical consequence of #3, #2, #0, i.e.
>>> assume another root program enacts similar rules.  Once the SubCA cert
>>> is disclosed on the CCADB for Mozilla and Chrome, the SubCA operator
>>> can download the SubCA cert from the CCADB and use it to make users of
>>> that other root program trust issued certificates before that other
>>> root program received the disclosure.
>>>

>> I see zero problem with the SubCA receiving the certificate
>> immediately from the issuing CA, even prior to disclosure in the
>> CCADB.  The proposed requirement is that the SubCA not issue prior to
>> confirming the disclosure has been made.

I agree with Peter here.

> Not receiving the certificate prevents a rogue or rookie SubCA from
> meaningfully issuing prematurely.  After all, SubCA operators are only
> humans, and usually less experienced in all this than long time major
> CA operators.

That's not a problem we're trying to solve here. That's great that you
care, but you've also highlighted the many problems with your proposal, so
perhaps it is a bad goal no longer worth discussing?

> By symmetry, if Mozilla has to shut down the CCADB for maintenance for
>>> 2 days, another root program might receive and publish the disclosure
>>> first, causing the same problem for users of Mozilla and Chrome
>>> products.
>>>

>> I'm not sure where you see the "problem for users" here.  This is no
>> different than what happens today for many CAs.
>>

> The problem for users is that their Browser/client trusts a certificate
> from a SubCA that their trusted root program has never seen, and thus
> not even had a chance to form an opinion about.

That's great. That's not the goal. The rest logically shakes out as
irrelevant.