On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 04:09:57AM -0700, Nick Lamb via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> Of the ballot 169 methods, 3.2.2.4.7 is most obviously appropriate for
> verifying that the applicant controls the entire domain and thus
> *.example.com, whereas say 3.2.2.4.6 proves only that the applicant
> controls a web server, it seems quite likely they have neither the legal
> authority nor the practical ability to control servers with other names in
> that domain.  I can see arguments either way for 3.2.2.4.4, depending on
> how well email happens to be administrated in a particular organisation.
>
> That adds up to an opportunity for someone to get a nasty surprise, one
> rogue employee at a cheap shared host can turn their ability to pass
> 3.2.2.4.6 for a brochureware site on www.example.com into a working
> *.example.com wildcard that can MitM SMTP, HTTPS-based APIs, VPNs, any
> sort of TLS traffic at all into any name in example.com.

Didn't a CA get caught fairly recently issuing certs with sAN:example.com
when the validation was for www.example.com, and got a stern talking to as a
result?  I vaguely recall something about that, but not with enough detail
to trawl the archives looking for it.

At any rate, I don't believe the BRs permit such an issuance.  At most, if
someone demonstrated control of www.example.com they would be able to get a
cert for sAN:*.www.example.com (which is still not great, but not quite the
complete disaster getting one for sAN:*.example.com would be).  If your read
of the BRs indicates otherwise, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

That being said, I certainly agree that demonstrating control of a website
is not *nearly* the same thing as demonstrating control over DNS, and I
wouldn't be a sad panda if demonstrating control over a website didn't
permit wildcard issuance.  Perhaps Mozilla policy (or the BRs) could
differentiate between "wildcard-permitted" vs "literal FQDN only" validation
methods?  That would, presumably, be applied independent of DV/OV validation
grade.

- Matt