On 21/04/17 12:09, Nick Lamb wrote:
> Of the ballot 169 methods, 3.2.2.4.7 is most obviously appropriate
> for verifying that the applicant controls the entire domain and thus
> *.example.com, whereas say 3.2.2.4.6 proves only that the applicant
> controls a web server, it seems quite likely they have neither the
> legal authority nor the practical ability to control servers with
> other names in that domain. I can see arguments either way for
> 3.2.2.4.4, depending on how well email happens to be administrated in
> a particular organisation.

So your concern is that a subset of the 10 Blessed Methods might not be
suitable for verifying the level of control necessary to safely issue a
wildcard cert?

If that's true, we should look at it, but I don't see how that's
connected with saying or not saying on our wiki page that wildcard certs
are inherently problematic.

So, to analyse: you are saying that demonstrating control over
http://www.example.com/ and getting a cert for *.www.example.com is
shaky? Or demonstrating control of http://example.com/ and getting a
cert for *.example.com? Or something else?

Gerv