On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Nick Lamb via dev-security-policy <

> I was thinking of things like the GoDaddy incident reported in January
> where they had mistakenly been accepting HTTP 404s to validate a domain or
> the 2016 Comodo "re-dressing" attack where a bad guy could arrange for your
> contact to get emails from Comodo saying they need to click a button to
> prevent an SSL certificate being issued, but actually clicking will cause
> it to be issued to the attacker...
>
> In such cases bad guys can get a wildcard rather than validation just for
> one affected name, and that makes their life much easier.

Are you talking per-certificate? Because the validation method is used for
the domain namespace can be applied to the subdomains.

> Going further back DigiNotar was made worse by the certificate being
> issued for *.google.com, not to say it wasn't bad enough to have bad guys
> essentially issuing whatever they wanted from a trusted CA.

Right, that's the high-order bit: Wildcards would not have changed that
situation at all. They also did *.*.com, so it's not like that's a strike
against wildcards.

We have to remember that attacks target the weakest link, and that link
isn't wildcards, under any of the present or (unfortunately) proposed
validation methods.

> Also whenever we see people blaming the issuer for phishing sites
> protected by SSL, a wildcard would of course let its subscriber create any
> number of phishing sites, without any oversight of the names used prior to
> issuance. I happen to think that's fine, but it wouldn't even be a factor
> without wildcards.

Well, again, that's mistating that there is any oversight today. There
isn't - nothing formalized or normalized, it's ad-hoc, CA defined
procedures. Considering that CAs are deciding that violating the BRs by
doing things like cross-signing unaudited sub-CAs because they determined
"there wouldn't be any risk" because of contractual prohibitions, I hope we
can see that the argument that CAs are technically capable and cognizant,
to the same level, across the industry, is uh... wishful thinking :)