-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Kathleen Wilson via dev-security-policy
Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:07 PM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: DigiCert-Symantec Announcement

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 2:13:40 PM UTC-7, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> Today, DigiCert and Symantec announced that DigiCert is acquiring the
> Symantec CA assets, including the infrastructure, personnel, roots,
> and platforms.  At the same time, DigiCert signed a Sub CA agreement
> wherein we will validate and issue all Symantec certs as of Dec 1, 2017.

Thanks for posting this information here.

Pointer to DigiCert's blog:

https://www.digicert.com/blog/digicert-to-acquire-symantec-website-security-
business/

> Two things I can say we plan on doing (following closing) to address
> concerns are:
>
> a.    We plan to segregate certs by type on each root. Going forward, we
> will issue all SSL certs from a root while client and email come from
> different roots.

I would like to see all CAs move in this direction.

> We also plan on limiting the number of organizations on each issuing
> CA.  We hope this will help address the "too big to fail" issue seen
> with Symantec.  By segregating end entities into roots and sub CAs,
> the browsers can add affected Sub CAs to their CRL lists quickly and
> without impacting the entire ecosystem.  This plan is very much in
> flux, and we'd love to hear additional recommendations.

I greatly appreciate your consideration in this area!

Perhaps there can be different subCAs for large organizations versus
smaller/individual site operators (that might be covered as different
brands). Of course, I'm always in favor of technically-constrained subCAs
for the large organizations.

And perhaps one (or more) of the subCAs can be dedicated to short-lived SSL
certs, similar to Let's Encrypt?

> b.    Another thing we are doing is adding a validation OID to all of our
> certificates that identifies which of the BR methods were used to
> issue the cert. This way the entire community can readily identify
> which method was used when issuing a cert and take action if a method
> is deemed weak or insufficient.  We think this is a huge improvement
> over the existing landscape, and I'm very excited to see that OID rolled
out.

I would like to see all CAs move in this direction as well.

Looks like you are going to be very busy! :-)

Thanks, and good luck!

Kathleen