-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Nick Lamb via dev-security-policy
Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:57 PM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: DigiCert-Symantec Announcement

On the use of OIDs to signify the Blessed Method used for validation I
thought it can't hurt to mention the first obstacle for this idea which
occurred to me in respect of Let's Encrypt (and more generally any CA
importing ACME I think)

Suppose an applicant asks for www.example.com, images.example.com and
www.example.org. They demonstrate control over www.example.com using files
in .well-known/ (sorry I'm writing this on my phone in a hotel room, don't
have BR section numbers in front of me) but use DNS to show control over
www.example.org...

Which OID goes in this certificate? Both of them? There are arbitrarily more
complicated examples along these lines, all worth a bit of thought before
setting off I think.