On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 9:20:02 AM UTC-5, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> All CAS are required to maintain the capability to process and receive
> revocation requests 24x7 under the baseline requirements. The headache is not
> with the CA. Rather, it's notifying the customer that their certificate will
> be revoked before the start of the next business day. Having a one to two
> business day rule  instead of 24 hours for non compromise issues gives the
> end entity time to receive the notification and replace their certificate
> with a compliant version.

I'm sure many customers would absolutely prefer that and on the surface it does
sound like a good solution. However, I think it's another example of the
general difference of opinion between people on this list around whether we
should be holding CAs to the highest standards or not. These mis-issued
certificates are typically not a security concern, but they speak to either
ignorance on the part of CA operators or a pattern of lackadaisical controls
within the issuance systems. Neither of these is acceptable behavior at this
juncture. Conformance with the BRs has been mandatory for over 5 years now.
Customers need to be made aware of the failures of their chosen providers and
the responsibilities incumbent upon them as subscribers, and if their own
certificate installation/replacement processes are sufficiently archaic as to
make it difficult to replace a certificate in an automated fashion then they
should rectify that immediately.

That said, to continue the thought experiment, what does "1-2 business days"
really mean?Does the CA get 1-2 business days followed by 1-2 for the customer?
What if there's a holiday in the CA's country of operations followed by a
holiday in the customer's home country? How quickly does this window extend to
2+ weeks? If you were to go down this path I'd strongly prefer it to be a hard
deadline (e.g. 72 hours) and not anything related to business days.

-Paul