At 11:30am PST on August 10, 2017, Let’s Encrypt was made aware of a compliance
issue regarding unicode normalization of domain names. During the same day we
were made aware of the issue, all unexpired non-compliant certificates were
found and revoked, a fix was applied to our CA systems, and we communicated
with our community. We consider the matter to be fully resolved at this point,
please let us know if we missed anything.

We were notified by a community member that Let's Encrypt had issued a number
of certificates containing punycode domain names which had not undergone
compliant unicode normalization. We confirmed that this was the case and began
investigating our code and the relevant RFCs.

We noticed that the code we added to check the validity of punycode encodings
in CSRs when we implemented support for IDNs didn't enforce any form of Unicode
Normalization. We started developing a fix. After seeking outside insight into
the issue and reading the relevant reference documents we came to the
conclusion that Normalization Form KC was required. The BRs reference RFC 5280,
which in turn references the encoding specified in RFC 3490 for IDNs, which
requires Normalization Form KC. We finished our fix and deployed it to our CA
at 5:20PM PST.

While developing the fix we searched our issuance databases for all unexpired
certificates containing punycode DNS names and checked them for non-NFKC
compliant names. We found 16, which are listed below. We revoked these
certificates and notified the subscribers who requested them.

I would like to thank the community members that discovered this issue, as well
as the Let's Encrypt team that worked hard to resolve it quickly.

--
Josh Aas
Executive Director

Serial numbers of affected and revoked certificates:

03d03877cbcec666b81340ed6a39c47556d1
03758d04a7816ba893847658e636a58e1f71
03ef82538ca2e54e97ae2b180ecb32f8cee4
044568f36455d8847713adb24c69e60bf123