On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 06:32:11PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:48:50AM -0400, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Nick Lamb via dev-security-policy <
> > dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> > > The former has the risk of being unexpectedly fragile,
> >

> > Could you expand on this? It's not obvious what you mean.
> >

> > > This way: If cablint breaks, or won't complete in a timely fashion during
> > > high volume issuance, it doesn't break the CA itself. But on the other
> > > hand
> > > it also doesn't wail on Comodo's generously offered public service crt.sh.
> > >

> > Could you expand on what you mean by "cablint breaks" or "won't complete in
> > a timely fashion"? That doesn't match my understanding of what it is or how
> > it's written, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing?
>
> My understand is that it used to be very slow for crt.sh, but
> that something was done to speed it up. I don't know if that change
> was something crt.sh specific. I think it was changed to not
> always restart, but have a process that checks multiple
> certificates.

I suspect you're referring to the problem of certlint calling out to an
external program to do ASN.1 validation, which was fixed in
https://github.com/awslabs/certlint/pull/38.  I believe the feedback from
Rob was that it did, indeed, do Very Good Things to certlint performance.

- Matt