Hi everyone,

We’re still progressing towards close and transition.  One of the items we are
heavily evaluating is the root structure and cross-signings post close.
Although the plan is still being finalized, I wanted to provide a community
update on the current proposal.

Right now, Mozilla post stated that they plan to deprecate Symantec roots for
TLS by the end of 2018.  We continue to work on a plan to transition all
customers using the roots for TLS to another root, likely the DigiCert High
Assurance root.  We will not cross-sign any Symantec roots, however we will
continue using those roots for code signing and client/email certs post close
(non-TLS use cases).  We also plan on using Symantec roots to cross-sign some
of the DigiCert roots to provide ubiquity in non-Mozilla systems and processes.
 However, this sign will only provide one-way trust, with the ultimate chain in
Mozilla being EE-> Issuing CA -> DigiCert root in all cases.

DigiCert currently has four operational roots in the Mozilla trust store:
Baltimore, Global, Assured ID, and High Assurance. The other roots are some
permutation of these four roots that were established for future use
cases/rollover (ECC vs. RSA).  We already separate operations by Sub CA, with
TLS, email, and code signing using different issuing CAs. As mentioned in my
to further control the population trusted by each Sub CA but have not decided
on exact numbers. OV and EV will be limited  by Alexa distribution and/or
number of customers.  DV isn’t readily identifiable by customer and will use a
common sub CA.

Root separation proves a difficult, yet achievable, task as there are only four
operational roots: Baltimore, High Assurance, Global, and Assured ID. Global
and High Assurance issue mostly OV/EV certs but do include code signing and
client certificates. High Assurance is our EV root and used for both EV code
signing certificates and TLS certs.   Baltimore is our cross-signed root and
used primarily by older Verizon customers. Assured ID is used mostly for code
signing and client.  However, Assured ID is also our FBCA root, meaning
government-issued TLS certificates chain to it.  Of course, all TLS certs are
issued in accordance with the BRs regardless of root.

Looking at the current customer base, our current plan is to issue EV (code and
TLS) from High Assurance, OV (code and TLS) from Global. Assured ID will
continue as our client certificate and government root. We plan to continue
using Symantec roots for code signing and client.  We’re still looking into
this though. We’d love to separate out the roots more than this, but that’s not
likely possible given the current root architecture. If there is a
non-cross-signed Symantec root that the browsers are not planning to remove,
we’d like to continue using the root to issue high volume DV and device
certificates.  If this is not possible and Mozilla is still planning on
distrusting all Symantec roots, we’ll likely migrate DV certs to a Sub CA
chained to the Baltimore root.

Of course, this is only an initial proposal.  We’ll revise as things progress
and based on the community feedback.  We appreciate your thoughts.

Jeremy