Certainly, as you noted, one option is to improve EV beyond simply being an
assertion of legal existence.

-Tim

From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:r...@sleevi.com]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 12:46 PM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rudenberg <jonat...@titanous.com>; Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: On the value of EV

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com
<mailto:tim.holleb...@digicert.com> > wrote:

Nobody is disputing the fact that these certificates were legitimate given the
rules that exist today.

However, I don't believe "technically correct, but intentionally misleading"
information should be included in certificates.  The question is how best to
accomplish that.

-Tim

Note: Jonathan did not mention "intentionally" misleading (instead "properly
validated and have correct (but very misleading information) in them".
Similarly, I noted that it was providing "accurate-but-misleading".

Unless the CA/Browser Forum has determined a way to discern intent (which would
be a profound breakthrough in and of itself), we cannot and should not consider
intent, and must merely evaluate based on result. As such, the only way to
remedy this information is to deny one or more parties the ability to obtain
certificates that correctly and accurately reflect their organizational
information, which is nominally the value proposition of EV certificates.
Unless we're willing to redefine EV certificates as being something other tied
to the legal identifier, I don't believe it's fair or beneficial to suggest we
can resolve this through validation means.

To that end, given the inherent confusion that results from legal identities -
and, again, this is a fully valid legal identity being used - I raised the
question as to whether or not it should be given the same UI treatment as the
unambiguous, fully qualified URL.

One option, as noted, is to fully qualify the organization information, if
users are to be expected to recognize the nuances of legal identities (and why
so many sites seem to be in Delaware and Nevada). However, that seems
exceptionally user-hostile and to ignore countless research studies, so another
option would be to consider removing the (unqualified) legal identity from the
address bar.