On the contrary, everything needs to be improved with time.  Just because it
could be made better doesn’t make it useless or bad.

-Tim

From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:r...@sleevi.com]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 1:09 PM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Cc: r...@sleevi.com; Jonathan Rudenberg <jonat...@titanous.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: On the value of EV

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com
<mailto:tim.holleb...@digicert.com> > wrote:

Certainly, as you noted, one option is to improve EV beyond simply being an
assertion of legal existence.

Does this mean we're in agreement that EV doesn't provide value to justify the
UI then? ;-)

I say it loaded and facetiously, but I think we'd need to be honest and open
that if we're saying something needs to be 'more' than EV, in order to be
useful and meaningful to users - which is what justifies the UI surface, versus
being useful to others, as Matt highlighted - then either EV meets the bar of
UI utility or it doesn't. And if it doesn't, then orthogonal to and separate
from efforts to add "Validation ++" (whether they be QWACS in eIDAS terms or
something else), then there's no value in the UI surface today, and whether
there's any value in UI surface in that Validation++ should be evaluated on the
merits of Validation++'s proposals, and not by invoking EV or grandfathering it
in.