On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
wrote:

> On the contrary, everything needs to be improved with time.  Just because
> it could be made better doesn’t make it useless or bad.
>

> -Tim

I didn't say that its ability to be improved made it bad - merely, its
present state is bad, particularly for users. Let's not focus on
generalities when we have a very specific case in front of us.

- We're in agreement that the certificates were legitimate.
- We're (seemingly) in agreement that we cannot discern intent (whether
they were used for good or bad), and certainly not on the browser side.
- We're in agreement that, as a result of the certificates being
legitimate, they are potentially confusing for users. I say potentially,
because the fact that "Stripe, Inc" is a company in Kentucky versus
Delaware may not be an issue - there are other companies with the name
"Stripe" in their name that may or may not be confusing, depending on the
user's context. [1]

As such, it's a fair and legitimate question to ask whether EV
certificates, as presently specified, deserve the UI treatment afforded to
them.
- If the fundamental certificate does not deserve it, then the UI should be
removed. This is orthogonal to any proposals to introduce some new type of
certificate that affords special UI.
  - Suggestions to "change the UI" are not equal or equivalent to "remove
the UI" - adding user interface complexity is not equivalent to simplifying
the user interface
- If the fundamental certificate does deserve the UI treatment, then
demonstrate why it does. You seem to be in agreement that the present form
of legal identity is insufficient for the presumed use case, so I'm hoping
you can close the gap in my understanding on why something is
simultaneously insufficient yet suitable.

[1] https://crt.sh/?O=Stripe%25