On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 12:41:02 PM UTC-8, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2017, James Burton via dev-security-policy wrote:
>
> > EV is on borrowed time
>
> You don't explain why?
>
> I mean domain names can be confusing or malicious too. Are domain names
> on borrowed time?
>
> If you remove EV, how will the users react when paypal or their bank is
> suddenly no longer "green" ? Are we going to teach them again that
> padlocks and green security come and go and to ignore it?
>
> Why is your cure (remove EV) better than fixing the UI parts of EV?
>
> Paul

The issues with EV are much larger than UI. It needs to be revisited and a
honest and achievable set of goals need to be established and the processes and
procedures used pre-issuance and post-issuance need to be defined in support
those goals. Until thats been done I can not imagine any browser would invest
in new UI and education of users for this capability.