On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 6:59 AM, Ryan Hurst via dev-security-policy <

> > > I agree moving away from WHOIS to RDAP over TLS is a good low hanging
> fruit
> > > mitigator once it is viable.
> >
> > My opinion is it is viable now, and the time to transition to optionally
> authenticated RDAP over TLS is now.  It solves pretty much all the problems
> we are currently having in a straightforward, standards-based way.
> >
> > The only opposition I've seem comes from people who seem to want to
> promote alternative models that destroy the WHOIS ecosystem, leading to
> proprietary distribution and monetization of WHOIS data.
> >
> > I can see why that is attractive to some people, but I don’t think it's
> best for everyone.
> >
> > I also agree that DNSSEC is a lost cause, though I understand why Paul
> doesn't want to give up 😊  I've wanted to see it succeed for basically my
> entire career, but it seems to be making about as much progress as fusion
> energy.

I don't think this opinion is in conflict with the suggestion that we
required DNSSEC validation on CAA records when (however rarely) it is
deployed. I added this as https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/133

> > -Tim
>
> Moving to RDAP does not solve "all the problems we are currently having"
> in that it does not do anything for DCV which is what I think this thread
> was about (e.g. BGP implications for DCV).
>
> I agree that these are two different issues. I added
https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/134 to track the proposal to
require CAs to perform domain validations from multiple network
perspectives. I do suspect this will be difficult to define in a policy.

That said, if in fact, RDAP is viable today I agree we should deprecate the
> use of WhoIs and mandate use of RDAP in the associated scenarios.
>
> I began work on a CAB Forum ballot that adds explicit BR support for RDAP.
I could be wrong, but I doubt that RDAP deployment is far enough along that
we can deprecate WHOIS.

I will also raise the first two issues with the CAB Forum because I think
they are better addressed in the BRs than in Mozilla policy.

Ryan Hurst