On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Quirin Scheitle via dev-security-policy <

> This is not about whether or not domains should deploy DNSSEC.
> Domains are are their own right to decide whether or not they see DNSSEC
> fit for their environment.
>
> We are saying that those domains having decided to deploy DNSSEC should
> get the additional benefits that DNSSEC provides.
>
> I don’t know how to say this any more clearly.
> CAA protection would still exist for all domains.
> Those domains that have decided to deploy DNSSEC would get the additional
> benefits that DNSSEC provides.

This really can not be overemphasized.  No one is suggesting that domain
holders be forced to implement DNSSEC.

What is being suggested is that ALL CAs be forced to abide formal DNSSEC
validation for those domains which have deployed DNSSEC as demonstrated by
presence of DS records deployed on the domain's label at the TLD name
servers.

Regarding the likelihood of DNSSEC implementation causing problems when
implemented, this is evidently a small enough problem that one of the
largest (or maybe the largest) retail ISPs in the USA formally validates
DNSSEC records on their customer facing recursive DNS servers.  Comcast
subscribers with default router/configuration will not resolve a DNS query
on a domain with DNSSEC implemented and for which there exists a DNSSEC
error of any critical sort.

That alone should be sufficient support for the notion that DNSSEC can be
deployed in a sufficiently stable manner that third parties may rely upon
it where enabled.

Furthermore, as was pointed out, Let's Encrypt and quite a number of other
CAs are already enforcing DNSSEC validation on CAA queries.  I suspect it's
not a significant cause of failures.

If we can just get CAA record checking to require DNSSEC validation and
then make one further change -- allowing CAA to further restrict acceptable
DV methods, domain holders will finally have a reasonable way to secure
against other parties achieving certificate acquisition for their domain
assets.