I think a reasonable approach is to consider a domain having deployed DNSSEC
when there is a DS record at the parent zone (*).

Missing DS record => No DNSSEC.
Existing DS record => Require valid DNSSEC signatures

(*) More precisely, a chain of DS records through all the parent zones down to
the currently evaluated DNS name.
I.e., a subtree deploying DNSSEC without a proper chain to the ICANN root
through parent zone DS records would be considered not deploying DNSSEC.

Kind regards
Quirin