On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 1:27:16 PM UTC-4, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM, Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:
>
> > I know of 12400 512 bit RSA ZSK's in a total of about 6.5 million. And I
> > consider those to be an operational mistake.
>
> http://tma.ifip.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tma2017_paper58.pdf
> has some fairly damning empirical data about the reliability of those
> records, which is not in line with your anecdata.

One of the reasons that the number of 512-bit keys is indeed now only ~12k (and
gradually decreasing) is rooted in a passing comment in that paper: "The
majority of them can be
attributed to a hosting provider below cz."

As it turns out, I played a role in remediating that problem:
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2017-October/016880.html

My focus is more operational than academic, so instead of writing a paper, I
posted to the dns-operations list, and not long after that post the folks at
"wedos.cz" resigned all the zones in question with 1024-bit or better keys.  It
remains to address the same issue at approximately three providers to
essentially eliminate 512-bit keys from DNSSEC:
https://twitter.com/VDukhovni/status/998341243800301568

So no, Pauls numbers are not "anecdata" and it is unwise to imply such a thing
without knowing the full story.  The DANE survey is identifying, publicizing
and driving remediation of various neglected aspects of DNSSEC operations, and
the overall ecosystem is getting considerably healthier than it was back in
2014.

--
  Viktor.