Tim,

I definitely think we've gone off the rails here, so I want to try to right
the cart here. You jumped in on a thread talking about DNSSEC providing
smoking guns [1] - which is a grandstanding bad idea. It wasn't yours, but
it's one that you jumped into the middle of the discussion, and began
offering other interpretations (such as it being about disk space [2]),
when the concern was precisely about trying to find a full cryptographic
proof that can be stable over the lifetime of the certificate - which for
Let's Encrypt is 90 days, but for some CAs, is up to 825-days [3].

As a systemic improvement, I think we're in violent agreement about the
goal - which is to make sure that when things go wrong, there are reliable
ways to identify where and why they went wrong - and perhaps simply in
disagreement on the means and ways to effect that. You posited that the
original motivation was that this specifically could not occur - but I
don't think that was actually shared or expressed, precisely because there
were going to be inherent limits to that information. I provided examples
of where and how, under the existing BRs, that the steps taken are both
consistent with and, arguably, above and beyond, what is required elsewhere
- which is not to say we should not strive for more, but is to put down the
notion from (other) contributors that somehow there's been less here.

I encouraged you to share more of your thinking, precisely because this is
what allows us to collectively evaluate the fitness for purpose [4] - and
the potential risks that well-intentioned changes can pose [5]. I don't
think it makes sense to anchor on the CAA aspect as the basis to improve
[6], when the real risk is the validation methods themselves. If our intent
is to provide full data for diagnostic purposes, then how far does that
rabbit hole go - do HTTP file-based validations need to record their DNS
lookup chains? Their IP flows? Their BGP peer broadcasts? The question of
this extreme rests on what is it we're trying to achieve - and the same
issue here (namely, CAA being misparsed) could just as equally apply to
HTTP streams, to WHOIS dataflows, or to BGP peers.

That's why I say it's systemic, and why I say that we should figure out
what it is we're trying to achieve - and misguided framing [1] does not
help further that.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7AcHi_MgKWE/7L2_zfgfCwAJ
[2]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7AcHi_MgKWE/gUT3t7B1CwAJ
[3]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7AcHi_MgKWE/O7QTGmInCwAJ
[4]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7AcHi_MgKWE/juHBkWV4CwAJ
[5]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7AcHi_MgKWE/O5rwCV96CwAJ
[6]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7AcHi_MgKWE/lpU2dpl8CwAJ

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy <