Dear Pekka,

"verified by the CA" seems to be the weak point here. What does "verified by the CA" mean?

The community seems to interpret this as actions by the CA to verify that the information requested to be included in the certificate by the Applicant, is actually real and owned/controlled by the Applicant. As others already mentioned, CAs usually follow some kind of challenge-response process to prove that the email address is real and owned/controlled by the Applicant.

You seem to interpret this as "our RA officers look at the address that the Applicant requested to be included in the certificate and if it appears to have a correct email address syntax (something followed by an '@' and then a domain), accept it and include it in the certificate". Is this an accurate description of your process? If someone requested a Certificate to include "pekka.lahtiha...@teliasonera.com", which seems like a legitimate email address, wouldn't you approve it? If not, why not?

Dimitris.