The BRs indeed do not have many requirements about the validation of email
addresses, but Mozilla policy is much more proscriptive here.  See, for
example, the first two items of section 2.2.

These make it pretty clear that unverified addresses are prohibited by
Mozilla policy, and validation of email addresses is not just a "best
practice"; it's required.

-Tim

On