As Matthew highlights, this is not a new or novel interpretation.

It was introduced in Ballot 164 -
https://cabforum.org/2016/03/31/ballot-164/

The first discussion of this in the CA/B Forum as a Ballot was
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2016-February/006893.html . This
discussion continues through June of that year, when it went to a vote.

During those discussions, there were concerns raised regarding entropy -
which, admittedly, I raised initially, but you can see others sharing
similar concerns. You can also see, however, in the discussions of GUIDs
how those concerns turned out to be well-founded.

Indeed, if you go to April,
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2016-April/007245.html , you can find
discussion about how the maximum legally possible entropy was 159 bits,
precisely for the reason we’re discussing.

While Scott’s proposed language (“entropy”) has problems that the Forum
discussed rather extensively, as to why it would be problematic, the
question of the high but was also discussed during the ballot process. I
believe the conclusion from that discussion was that it would be unlikely
for CAs to rest on exactly 64-bit serials, as they would be able to avoid
any ambiguity or confusion by simply increasing the serial number space
(say, to 65 bits).

Following this ballot, subsequent discussion was had regarding some CAs
that included serials of exactly 64 bits, and how those could not be
compliant.
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/YequotPYLdc/J0K3lUyzBwAJ
is such an example.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy <