Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response. Been traveling and haven't had a chance to
properly format my thoughts until now.

As you all know, DigiCert recently acquired the Quovadis CA. As the operator
of the CA, DigiCert is responsible for the issuing CA controlled by
DarkMatter. DarkMatter controls the keys of the intermediate, have their own
CPS, and undergo their own annual audits.

With one exception, DigiCert has a policy against signing externally
operated intermediate CAs capable of issuing TLS certificates. The exception
is for browser operators who want a cross-sign, which is not applicable in
this case. We've found that limiting external CAs provides a better
situation for users and the security community. As we've done in the past,
we feel there is a logical and legal way to address inherited contracts and
externally operating CAs so that we do not leave site operators and relying
parties using those sites in a lurch. We are committed to working with
DarkMatter on a plan that works for them and aligns to our policy.

As for DarkMatter, we have not received direct evidence of any intentional
mis-issuance or use of a certificate for a MiTM attack. As a policy, we do
not revoke certificates based purely on allegations of wrongdoing.  This is
true regardless of source, such as trademark disputes, government requests
for revocation, and similar matters. We do revoke certificates after
receiving a formal request for revocation from a trust store operator. I
think this policy is a logical approach as the policy avoids government
influence and public pressure over unpopular sites while acknowledging the
browser's control over their root store.

If we are presented with direct evidence of serious BR violations or
wrongdoing, we will certainly act in the best interests of user security and
revoke the intermediate. Wrongdoing warranting revocation definitely
includes using the issuing CA to intercept communication where the
certificate holder does not control the domain.

We already received a formal report on the serial number issue. This issue
reminds me of past discussion
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/mozilla.dev.security.policy/entr
opy%7Csort:date/mozilla.dev.security.policy/UnR98QjWQQs/Afk5pDHqAQAJ) which
did not warrant removal from the root store. We plan on filling a bug report
on the incident and working with DarkMatter to ensure their systems are
compliant with the BRs. This includes their replacing non-compliant
certificates in accordance with 4.9.1.1. Considering that the certificates
resulted from a misreading of the BRs rather than a malicious act and the
historical precedent in not removing CAs for entropy issues, I don't think
there is justification to revoke the CA. IWe, of course, expect DarkMatter
to update their systems and work with the Mozilla community in providing all
information necessary to resolve concerns about their operation.

Hopefully that answers questions you have.  Feel free to ask me anything.

Jeremy