Ballot 164 statement of intent is pretty clear: (arbitrary) 64 bit of
randomness was needed to defeat collisions in broken MD5.

With SHA2, the missing 1 bit does not seem to have any impact on the possible
collisions.

But BRs are not to be interpreted, just to be applied to the letter, whether it
makes sense or not. When it no longer makes sense, the wording can be improved
for the future.

PS replacing handful of certs within 5 days is fairly easy; replacing thousands
(or millions, as we find out) is much less likely. Should BRs account for that?