On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 4:35 PM Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy <

> does Mozilla want to require a complete revocation and replacement? Seems
> like a lot of effort and disruption for little value to the Mozilla
> community.

I'm surprised, given the length of the discussion in [1], to see such an
unhelpful framing of the issue, as it sounds remarkably like asking for an
"exception". I had hoped that the changes [2] to the policy [3] had
provided greater clarity about what the expectations are for CAs. It does
seem that CAs are following that process, which is something another CA
recently did in the case of underscores, so perhaps its best to not try and
re-open that discussion? :)

I think a particular piece of guidance and clarification, expected of such
incident reports, and captured in [3], is
"That you will perform an analysis to determine the factors that prevented
timely revocation of the certificates, and include a set of remediation
actions in the final incident report that aim to prevent future revocation
delays."

It does seem that this is an essential and valuable piece for the
community, regardless of the CA affected and regardless of the nature of
the incident. After all, it doesn't seem to dissimilar to the discussion
regarding Heartbleed, and the challenges the ecosystem faced then.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/0oy4uTEVnus/pnywuWbmBwAJ
[2]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/HdirGOy6TJI/oIHKXeSuCAAJ