One item that I think could bear a useful discussion from these incident
reports is how the community can get more involved in discussing and helping
with incident reports. For example, the 63 bit serial number issue is leading
to a lot of certs potentially being revoked with little benefit to the
community (IMO of course). There are definite downsides to revocation that may
or may not be fully considered when people are responding to incidents. For
example, adding a bunch of certs to a CRL for a minor issue seems like a
pointless increase in CRL size. There's also the customer disruption and other
issues to consider that are probably important for the community to know when
looking at incident reports.

I'm wondering if we (the community or CABForum) should have some mechanism of
evaluating these risks and  proposed incident plans before/while the plan is
executed. For example, the pros and cons of revocation of the certs could be
discussed. Actual revocation would be up to the CA , course, and any
non-compliances would be noted on the audit report, but this part of the policy
could be a community effort: "That you will perform an analysis to determine
the factors that prevented timely revocation of the certificates, and include a
set of remediation actions in the final incident report that aim to prevent
future revocation delays."
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Responding_To_An_Incident#Revocation). We could
have the CA propose a rough draft to the community where they engage in a QA
about the incident and then have members make a recommendation to the CA about
remediation. All voluntary on the advice. This is probably the way it is
supposed to currently work, but right now the  flow seems like:
1) Post to Mozilla
2) Create an incident report
3) Community discussion about compliance and why CAs need to do better 😊
4) Update incident report until Wayne closes it

A new flow that includes the community more fully could be:
1) Post to Mozilla, the post must include an initial proposed plan of action
2) Create an incident report (to track bugs)
3) Discuss on the Mozilla forum the proposed plan and post updated plans based
on member suggestions
4) Post a final draft to Bugzilla
5) Post updates per a timeline set in the incident report
6) Wayne closes the bug.

This is probably a lot more work for the CA, but I know we'd find the community
feedback on how to resolve issues useful. Maybe it could also change into a
continuous flow of "How can X CA do better - here's some suggestions" instead
of "Better put up the lightning rod and get through this".

Thoughts? Again, probably how this is supposed to work already, but if we can
turn it into more actionable feedback about what's next, then I'd find that
super useful.

Jeremy