From: Ryan Sleevi <ryan.sle...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 2:31 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.row...@digicert.com>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: GoDaddy Revocation Disclosure

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> > wrote:

A new flow that includes the community more fully could be:
1) Post to Mozilla, the post must include an initial proposed plan of action
2) Create an incident report (to track bugs)
3) Discuss on the Mozilla forum the proposed plan and post updated plans based
on member suggestions
4) Post a final draft to Bugzilla
5) Post updates per a timeline set in the incident report
6) Wayne closes the bug.

This is probably a lot more work for the CA, but I know we'd find the community
feedback on how to resolve issues useful. Maybe it could also change into a
continuous flow of "How can X CA do better - here's some suggestions" instead
of "Better put up the lightning rod and get through this".

So, I think many of these elements are already captured in the current process,
as the lengthy discussion with DigiCert regarding underscores [1], and this
provides a model for engaging with the community and gathering feedback and
concerns about the response.

CAs are responsible for drafting their initial incident reports, gathering
feedback, and making a decision - much as DigiCert did with underscores. The CA
is judged based on how well they considered and balanced the risks, there is
opportunity for concerns about improving (an area DigiCert encountered with its
own reports), and we move forward.

It would seem, from your broader message, that this is looking for some sort of
blanket approval, independent of the CA or facts specific to that CA, and I
think that's something that we've been explicitly trying to avoid - as the
context matters. There are a number of hazards, which Matt Palmer highlighted
during the discussion of underscores [2][3][4], and I think those still apply
now as much as they did two and a half months ago.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/0oy4uTEVnus/pnywuWbmBwAJ

[2]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/0oy4uTEVnus/APSWO4SYCgAJ