On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy <

> A new flow that includes the community more fully could be:
> 1) Post to Mozilla, the post must include an initial proposed plan of
> action
> 2) Create an incident report (to track bugs)
> 3) Discuss on the Mozilla forum the proposed plan and post updated plans
> based on member suggestions
> 4) Post a final draft to Bugzilla
> 5) Post updates per a timeline set in the incident report
> 6) Wayne closes the bug.
>
> This is probably a lot more work for the CA, but I know we'd find the
> community feedback on how to resolve issues useful. Maybe it could also
> change into a continuous flow of "How can X CA do better - here's some
> suggestions" instead of "Better put up the lightning rod and get through
> this".
>
> Thoughts? Again, probably how this is supposed to work already, but if we
> can turn it into more actionable feedback about what's next, then I'd find
> that super useful.

So, I think many of these elements are already captured in the current
process, as the lengthy discussion with DigiCert regarding underscores [1],
and this provides a model for engaging with the community and gathering
feedback and concerns about the response.

CAs are responsible for drafting their initial incident reports, gathering
feedback, and making a decision - much as DigiCert did with underscores.
The CA is judged based on how well they considered and balanced the risks,
there is opportunity for concerns about improving (an area DigiCert
encountered with its own reports), and we move forward.

It would seem, from your broader message, that this is looking for some
sort of blanket approval, independent of the CA or facts specific to that
CA, and I think that's something that we've been explicitly trying to avoid
- as the context matters. There are a number of hazards, which Matt Palmer
highlighted during the discussion of underscores [2][3][4], and I think
those still apply now as much as they did two and a half months ago.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/0oy4uTEVnus/pnywuWbmBwAJ

[2]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/0oy4uTEVnus/APSWO4SYCgAJ