Brian,

I think we are in agreement that this isn't a desirable addition to our
policy.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM Brian Smith via dev-security-policy <

> Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
> wrote:
>
> Here when you say "require EKUs," you mean that you are proposing that
> software that uses Mozilla's trust store must be modified to reject
> end-entity certificates that do not contain the EKU extension, if the
> certificate chains up to the roots in Mozilla's program, right?

That would be a logical goal, but I was only contemplating a policy
requirement.

If so, how
> would one implement the "chain[s] up to roots in our program" check? What's
> the algorithm? Is that actually well-defined?

My starting proposal would be to reject all EE certs issued after a certain
future date that don't include EKU(s), or that assert anyEKU. If your point
is that it's not so simple and that this will break things, I suspect that
you are correct.

- Wayne