Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM Brian Smith via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> Here when you say "require EKUs," you mean that you are proposing that
>> software that uses Mozilla's trust store must be modified to reject
>> end-entity certificates that do not contain the EKU extension, if the
>> certificate chains up to the roots in Mozilla's program, right?
>

> That would be a logical goal, but I was only contemplating a policy
> requirement.

OK, let's say the policy were to change to require an EKU in every
end-entity certificate. Then, would the policy also require that existing
unexpired certificates that lack an EKU be revoked? Would the issuance of a
new certificate without an EKU be considered a policy violation that would
put the CA at risk of removal?

The thing I want to avoid is saying "It is OK for the CA to issue an
end-entity certificate without an EKU and if there is no EKU we will
consider it out of scope of the program." In particular, I don't want to
put software that (correctly) implements the "no EKU extension implies all
usages are acceptable" at risk.

> If so, how
>> would one implement the "chain[s] up to roots in our program" check?
>> What's
>> the algorithm? Is that actually well-defined?
>>

> My starting proposal would be to reject all EE certs issued after a
> certain future date that don't include EKU(s), or that assert anyEKU. If
> your point is that it's not so simple and that this will break things, I
> suspect that you are correct.

The part that seems difficult to implement is the differentiation of a
certificate that chains up to a root in Mozilla's program from one that
doesn't. I don't think there is a good way to determine, given the
information that the certificate verifier has, whether a certificate chains
up to a root in Mozilla's program or not, so to be safe software has to
apply the same rules to regardless of whether the certificate appears to
chain up to a root in Mozilla's program or not.

Cheers,
Brian
--
https://briansmith.org/