Hi Doug,

Perhaps it got mangled by your mail client, but I think I had that covered?

I've pasted it again, below.

Counter proposal:
April 2021: 395 day domain validation max
April 2021: 366 day organization validation max
April 2022: 92 day domain validation max
September 2022: 31 day domain validation max
April 2023: 3 day domain validation max
April 2023: 31 day organization validation max
September 2023: 6 hour domain validation max

As mentioned in the prior mail (and again, perhaps it was eaten by a
grueful mail-client)

> This sets an entirely timeline that encourages automation of domain
> validation, reduces the risk of stale organization data (which many
> jurisdictions require annual review), and eventually moves to a system
> where request-based authentication is the norm, and automated systems for
> organization data is used. If there are jurisdictions that don't provide
> their data in a machine readable format, yes, they're precluded. If there
> are organizations that don't freshly authenticate their domains, yes,
> they're precluded.
> Now, it's always possible to consider shifting from an
> account-authenticated model to a key-authenticated-model (i.e. has this key
> been used with this domain), since that's a core objective of domain
> revalidation, but I can't see wanting to get to an end state where that
> duration is greater than 30 days, at most, of reuse, because of the
> practical risks and realities of key compromises. Indeed, if you look at
> the IETF efforts, such as Delegated Credentials or STAR, the industry
> evaluation of risk suggests 7 days is likely a more realistic upper bound
> for authorization of binding a key to a domain before requiring a fresh
> challenge.

Hopefully that helps!