Are we to assume that the maximum certificate validity remains at 398 days?

From: Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2020 10:02 AM
To: Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>
Cc: r...@sleevi.com; Kathleen Wilson <kwil...@mozilla.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: About upcoming limits on trusted certificates

Hi Doug,

Perhaps it got mangled by your mail client, but I think I had that covered?

I've pasted it again, below.

Counter proposal:

April 2021: 395 day domain validation max

April 2021: 366 day organization validation max

April 2022: 92 day domain validation max

September 2022: 31 day domain validation max

April 2023: 3 day domain validation max

April 2023: 31 day organization validation max

September 2023: 6 hour domain validation max

As mentioned in the prior mail (and again, perhaps it was eaten by a grueful
mail-client)

This sets an entirely timeline that encourages automation of domain validation,
reduces the risk of stale organization data (which many jurisdictions require
annual review), and eventually moves to a system where request-based
authentication is the norm, and automated systems for organization data is
used. If there are jurisdictions that don't provide their data in a machine
readable format, yes, they're precluded. If there are organizations that don't
freshly authenticate their domains, yes, they're precluded.
Now, it's always possible to consider shifting from an account-authenticated
model to a key-authenticated-model (i.e. has this key been used with this
domain), since that's a core objective of domain revalidation, but I can't see
wanting to get to an end state where that duration is greater than 30 days, at
most, of reuse, because of the practical risks and realities of key
compromises. Indeed, if you look at the IETF efforts, such as Delegated
Credentials or STAR, the industry evaluation of risk suggests 7 days is likely
a more realistic upper bound for authorization of binding a key to a domain
before requiring a fresh challenge.

Hopefully that helps!

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 9:53 AM Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com