> No, this isn’t specified/required for Delegated Reaponders (at least, by
> 6960), and the client implementations I looked at did not check.

>From RFC 5280, section 4.2.1.12:

If a certificate contains both a key usage extension and an extended

   key usage extension, then both extensions MUST be processed

   independently and the certificate MUST only be used for a purpose

   consistent with both extensions.

…

id-kp-OCSPSigning            OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-kp 9 }

   -- Signing OCSP responses

   -- Key usage bits that may be consistent: digitalSignature

   -- and/or nonrepudiation

If clients aren’t checking for digitalSignature keyUsage when verifying OCSP
implementation bug.

> RFC 6960 is clear that the EKU indicates a designated responder, and you
> can’t “take back” that by suggesting the lack of the KU, as required by 5280,
> or the lack of nocheck, as required by the BRs, makes it “not a Responder”.
> It just makes it “not a correctly issued responder”.

I don’t think it’s that clear-cut, as there’s an impedance mismatch between the
use of EKU in CA certificates to enforce policy and IETF work products. In
other words, several Root Programs/the BRs have used EKU in CA certificates to
denote policy scope, whereas the IETF in its various standards have the
assumption that EKU is generally only expressed in end-entity certificates. I
think that this interplay needs to be kept in mind when reading RFC 6960 and
asserting whether or not the sole determiner on whether a CA certificate is an
OCSP responder certificate is the presence of the ocspSigning EKU.

Thanks,

Corey