Let me quote from the NSS website of Mozilla
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/NSS/Overview):

  If you want to add support for SSL, S/MIME, or other Internet security
standards to your application, you can use Network Security Services (NSS) to
implement
  all your security features. NSS provides a complete open-source
implementation of the crypto libraries used by AOL, Red Hat, Google, and other
companies in a
  variety of products, including the following:
  * Mozilla products, including Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Firefox OS.
  * [and a long list of additional reference applications]

Probably it would be good if someone from Mozilla team steps in here, but
S/MIME _is_ an advertised use-case for NSS. And the Mozilla website says
nowhere, that the demands and rules of WebPKI / CA/B-Forum overrule all other
demands. It is simply not to be expected by a consumer of S/MIME certificates
that they become invalid within 7 days just because the BRGs for TLS
certificates are requiring it. This feels close to intrusive behavior of the
WebPKI community.

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Siemens Operations
Information Technology
Value Center Core Services
SOP IT IN COR
Freyeslebenstr. 1
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Klaus Helmrich, Cedrik Neike, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered
offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin
Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322