On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 7:12 PM Matt Palmer via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 08:42:03AM -0700, Mark Arnott via dev-security-policy
> wrote:
> > I was informed yesterday that I would have to replace just over 300
> > certificates in 5 days because my CA is required by rules from the CA/B
> > forum to revoke its subCA certificate.
>
> The possibility of such an occurrence should have been made clear in the
> subscriber agreement with your CA.  If not, I encourage you to have a frank
> discussion with your CA.
>
> > In the CIA triad Availability is as important as Confidentiality.  Has
> > anyone done a threat model and a serious risk analysis to determine what a
> > reasonable risk mitigation strategy is?
>
> Did you do a threat model and a serious risk analysis before you chose to
> use the WebPKI in your application?

I think it is important to keep in mind that many of the CA
certificates that were identified are constrained to not issue TLS
certificates.  The certificates they issue are explicitly excluded
from the Mozilla CA program requirements.

The issue at hand is caused by a lack of standardization of the
meaning of the Extended Key Usage certificate extension when included
in a CA-certificate.  This has resulted in some software developers
taking certain EKUs in CA-certificates to act as a constraint (similar
to Name Constraints), some to take it as the purpose for which the
public key may be used, and some to simultaneously take both
approaches - using the former for id-kp-serverAuth key purpose and the
latter for the id-kp-OCSPSigning key purpose.

I don't think it is reasonable to assert that everyone impacted by
this should have been aware of the possibly of revocation - it is
completely permissible under all browser programs to issue end-entity
certificates with infinite duration that guarantee that they will
never be revoked, even in the case of full key compromise, as long as
the certificate does not assert a key purpose in the EKU that is
covered under the policy.  The odd thing in this case is that the
subCA certificate itself is the certificate in question.

As several others have indicated, WebPKI today is effectively a subset
of the more generic shared PKI. It is beyond time to fork the WebPKI
from the general PKI and strongly consider making WebPKI-only CAs that
are subordinate to the broader PKI; these WebPKI-only CAs can be
carried by default in public web browsers and operating systems, while
the broader general PKI roots can be added locally (using centrally
managed policies or local configuration) by those users who what a
superset of the WebPKI.

Thanks,
Peter