> From: dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy-boun...@lists.mozilla.org> On
> Behalf Of Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 10:42 PM Peter Bowen via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> > As several others have indicated, WebPKI today is effectively a subset
> > of the more generic shared PKI. It is beyond time to fork the WebPKI
> > from the general PKI and strongly consider making WebPKI-only CAs that
> > are subordinate to the broader PKI; these WebPKI-only CAs can be
> > carried by default in public web browsers and operating systems, while
> > the broader general PKI roots can be added locally (using centrally
> > managed policies or local configuration) by those users who what a
> > superset of the WebPKI.
> >

> +1.  This is the only outcome that, long term, balances the tradeoffs
> appropriately.

+1. Maybe a first step would be to write an RFC that explains, how technical
constraining based on EKU (and Certificate Policies) through the layers of a
multi-tier-PKI-Hierarchy should work. We have seen in this thread, that
different Application Software Suppliers have different ideas, sometimes not
even consistent within their application. I would be willing to support it.

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Siemens Operations
Information Technology
Value Center Core Services
SOP IT IN COR
Freyeslebenstr. 1
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Klaus Helmrich, Cedrik Neike, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered
offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin
Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322