I haven't seen any response to my question about whether there is still a
concern over the language "as evidenced by a Qualified Auditor's key
destruction report".
I did add "This cradle-to-grave audit requirement applies equally to
subordinate CAs as it does to root CAs" to address the scenarios that were
raised.
So I am going to assume that this issue is resolved and that we can move
this proposed change forward.
See
https://github.com/BenWilson-Mozilla/pkipolicy/commit/c8bdb949020634b1f8fa31bc060229c600fe6f9d

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:16 AM Ben Wilson <bwil...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> The proposed change currently reads,
>
> "Full-surveillance period-of-time audits MUST be conducted and updated
> audit information provided no less frequently than annually from the time
> of CA key pair generation until the CA certificate is no longer trusted by
> Mozilla's root store or until all copies of the CA private key have been
> completely destroyed, as evidenced by a Qualified Auditor's key destruction
> report, whichever occurs sooner. This cradle-to-grave audit requirement
> applies equally to subordinate CAs as it does to root CAs. Successive
> period-of-time audits MUST be contiguous (no gaps)."
> But is the argument that I should also add something along these
> lines--"This cradle-to-grave audit requirement applies equally to ...,  *and
> an audit would be required for all subordinate CAs until their private keys
> have been completely destroyed as well*."?  Is that still the issue
> here?  Or has it already been resolved with the language further above?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 12:55 PM Ben Wilson <bwil...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree that we should add language that makes it more clear that the key
>> destruction exception for audit only applies to the CA certificates whose
>> key has been destroyed.  I'm also hoping that a CAO wouldn't destroy a Root
>> CA key if there were still valid subordinate CAs that the CAO might need to
>> revoke.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:49 AM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <
>> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

>>> discussed.

>>> removal
>>> public

>>> alone

>>> scenarios for
>>> *precisely*
>>> previous

>>> allowing
>>> reasonable
>>> scope

>>> it
>>> >

>>> I believe that destruction of the Root CA Key should only end audit
>>> requirements for the corresponding Root CA itself, not for any of its
>>> still trusted SubCAs.
>>>
>>> One plausible (but hypothetical) sequence of events is this:
>>>
>>> 1. Begin Root ceremony with Auditors present.
>>>
>>> 1.1 Create Root CA Key pair
>>> 1.2 Sign Root CA SelfCert
>>> 1.3 Create 5 SubCA Key pairs
>>> 1.4 Sign 5 SubCA pre-certificates
>>> 1.5 Request CT Log entries for the 5 SubCA pre-certificates
>>> 1.6 Sign 5 SubCA certificates with embedded CTs
>>> 1.7 Sign, but do not publish a set of post-dated CRLs for various
>>> contingencies