On Fri, Mar 05, 2021 at 08:46:26AM -0800, Bruce via dev-security-policy wrote:
> At the beginning, I think that CAs will generate one or many keys, but
> will not assign them to CAs.  The gap period could be days to years.
> Since the requirement says "from the time of CA key pair generation", do
> we want an audit of an unassigned key?  Or should the audit start once the
> key has been assigned and the CA certificate has been generated?

I think it's reasonable that keys that are bound to CA certificates have an
unbroken history of audits demonstrating that the key has always been
managed in a way that minimises the chances of disclosure, along with
evidence that the key being bound was initially generated in a secure manner
(good RNG, etc).

- Matt