In light of the ongoing HiCA discussion, we feel compelled to provide
additional clarity on the subject. Not only were we unaware of the
existence of HiCA until recently, but we were unaware that QuantumCA was
distributing acme.sh. QuantumCA's reseller account was never enabled for
ACME therefore no certs were issued from any of QuantumCA branded SubCAs
via ACME at any time.

However, SSL.com's free community ACME 90-day certs have been available
since 2021 and we have no involvement, collaboration, or control over any
ACME client scripts or applications including HiCA's acme.sh. Our courtesy
ACME service is available in a similar vein as other free publicly trusted
ACME TLS certificate providers with no restrictions or consideration on
which ACME clients are allowed access to this service.

We do not collaborate on any projects with our SSL/TLS SubCA resellers
other than to provide them brandable certificates. Many members of the
community find brandable SubCAs valuable to help build reputation without
having to invest in a fully dedicated CA infrastructure, and most reseller
customers handle the privilege of their SubCAs responsibly. Unfortunately,
there are cases where abuse, intentional or otherwise, may crop up. At
SSL.com, we make every effort to respond swiftly and firmly whenever we are
alerted of any issues related to our branded SubCAs.

In particular, SSL.com has already planned revocation of the branded SubCAs
within the required 7-day time window from the moment we discovered the
dissolution of QUANTUM CA LIMITED, in full compliance with our CP/CPS and
the CA/B Forum Baseline Requirements. We are also reaching out to
individual subscribers affected by this upcoming revocation event to
minimize the impact.

Still, there are lessons to learn from this event. Although our CP/CPS
stipulates customers’/resellers’ obligation to notify SSL.com of any
business registration modification (which includes dissolution), we plan to
introduce proactive measures, such as applying periodic reverification of
all SubCA resellers' business registrations.

Finally, we view unwarranted statements, which are probably in violation of
the Mozilla Community Participation Guidelines
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/participation/>,
or individual customer-to-company issues such as “refunds” as off-topic and
will directly communicate with the reseller on such matters. We consider
dev-security-policy group to be a public Forum to discuss ecosystem-wide
security/policy issues and good practices. For example, we could discuss
with other CAs to adopt the above-mentioned periodic reverification to
further protect the ecosystem.

Thank you,

Tom
SSL.com

P.S. I have used my Google email address for the m.d.s.p. since 2017. I
continued to use it in this public group, after I took on the role of
Compliance Manager at SSL.com, as a means to continue the legacy of the
account and maintain records of the previous discussions.  Unless otherwise
stated, all posts from this address should be considered official replies
from SSL.com.

>>> 2. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8555#section-10.2