Gervase Markham wrote on 4/8/2009 2:07 PM:
> On 07/04/09 18:02, Brandon Sterne wrote:
> I'm actually against making it easy for servers to "detect" if CSP is
> supported, because if we make it particularly easy, content authors will
> start relying on it as their only defence rather than using it as a
> backup. "We don't need to check for XSS holes, we use CSP." That would
> be bad. Of course, we can't stop them putting together fragile
> User-Agent lists, but sites which do that are broken anyway, as the web
> design community has been saying for years.

It seems unlikely that responsible web developers would rely entirely on CSP,
especially initially, since not all UAs will support it.  And if the developer
really does choose to rely entirely on CSP, there isn't much we can do -- any
developer with two domains can easily test if the client supports CSP, request
header or no header.

I think the stronger likelihood is that the developer won't use CSP at all --
their site will still work regardless.  Providing a CSP header that can be
measured to show it's worth the effort to learn and implement will be a much
stronger incentive.

In summary, given the number of XSS holes out there, if the developer chooses
to rely entirely on CSP to protect them, that's far better than not using CSP
at all.  The biggest threat to CSP is not over-reliance, but rather
under-utilization.

- Bil