On 4/10/09 9:50 AM, Bil Corry wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.security/browse_thread/thread/c0f1a44e4fb98859#anchor_ffeba39158c82a91

While I do like the idea of an Accept-Header header for capability-advertising uses, it's not yet implemented. And I fear if it were implemented, it may encourage adding too many X-headers to the request ... which is orthogonal to our goal in avoiding a new header for CSP versioning. There's already tremendous pressure to keep the number of HTTP headers low. If we were already sending Accept-Header, I'd jump right on it as a place to put the CSP version, but I don't really think it's wise to add this new header with only CSP using it for now.

If we advertise the version at all (I'm still on the fence here), I think maybe putting CSP version into the User-Agent header might be appropriate, since CSP is technically a capability of the user agent.

If indeed the UA gets scrubbed by someone concerned about privacy (or a proxy/firewall/etc), it seems appropriate that this advertisement of a user-agent's capability (the CSP version) should get scrubbed too.

So the UA string is harder to parse than a header containing only this version, but the syntax is fairly straightforward in RFC 2616. Also, I'm not seeing a Flash-Version header, or a header that alone advertises any other browser capabilities, so unless we want to make a new header and put *all* advertised capabilities in it, User-Agent seems the best choice.

Cheers,
Sid