On 4/10/09 7:06 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
>> If sites are relying on CSP for XSS protection, then perhaps they would
>> want to serve only "trusted content" to non-CSP users.
>
> If you have a mechanism for making content "trusted", why not use it all
> the time? You don't turn off your HTML sanitizer for CSP-supporting
> browsers.

I think the point is that sites won't have 100% confidence in their HTML
sanitizer.  The HTML scrubber might have bugs, which CSP provides
mitigation for.  This raises the confidence level to a point where sites
can be comfortable serving user-generated content, etc. because they
know there are policies limiting what that content can do.

>> In reality, as CSP becomes more mature and well-understood, sites will
>> rely on it for XSS mitigation.  It's inevitable that if we put a
>> reliable product out there sites will rely upon it.
>
> But by design, it can't be entirely reliable, because it can't read the
> developer's mind. Or have you got the ESP module working properly now? :-)

Not reliable in the sense that "we guarantee there will never be XSS in
your site".  I site can still write code with vulnerabilities even under
CSP.  By reliable, I meant that the behavior will be consistent and
patterns of effective use for XSS mitigation will develop.

>> We're somewhat averse to
>> adding a request header that would only carry the version info, so
>> that's why we're looking for an existing request header that can carry
>> this info.
>
> I really don't think UA is the right choice. Microsoft are bloating UAs
> with .NET versions, and that's making people unhappy.

I'm not 100% thrilled with the idea either, mostly because parsing the
U-A string could be challenging for some sites.  But it does seems to be
the least bad idea I've heard.  We can certainly minimize U-A bloat by
making our subproduct something like "CSP/1".  I'm certainly open to
other suggestions, though.

-Brandon