----- Original Message -----
From: "Lucas Adamski" <ladam...@mozilla.com>
To: "Asa Dotzler" <a...@mozilla.com>
Cc: "Jared Wein" <jw...@mozilla.com>, "Kev Needham" <k...@mozilla.com>,
"security-group group" <security-gr...@mozilla.org>, "Madhava Enros"
<men...@mozilla.com>, "Stephen Horlander" <shorlan...@mozilla.com>, "Justin
Dolske" <jdol...@mozilla.com>, mozilla-dev-secur...@lists.mozilla.org
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:02:24 AM
Subject: Re: Opt-in activation for plugins (aka click to play)
Hi,

some thoughts :

does the current implementation of the blocklist allow for the flexibility we
will need ? will we need to change its format ?
this feature will probably require some server side work as well.

i especially like :
> - user can override default behavior via context menu and/or
> about:permissions per-site or globally

is this per plugin ? it sounds like the default behavior driven by the
blocklist may likely be per plugin.

here is a suggestion for this :

1) user can change default behavior per plugin via context menu - even when
a plugin is 'left-click to play', right click can pop up context menu. i like
Asa's previous suggestion of context menu options :

>> "play" and "always play for this site" and "always play for this plug-in
>> type".

2) changes from the default behavior are shown in about:permissions
(which is per site) per plugin so the user can revoke earlier decisions

3) the user can globally change default per plugin or across all plugins
(could go in about:permissions "Default Permissions for All Sites" ? )

> - a (negative) change in blocklist status resets any permissive user
> preference for that plugin

sounds good, across all sites as well obviously.

> - this doesn't resolve the question of what the default behavior is for
> plugins not in the blocklist. Maybe "run by default" is ok provided there is
> a first-run warning?

i'm actually fine with this - the first run warning takes care of the
sneaky-install case i'm mostly worried
about. we could even potentially skip a first run warning for some plugins via
a field in the blocklist,
although though would very likely require modifications to the format.

>> We should also measure (I believe Firefox telemetry can tell us) the usage
>> of various plug-ins so we understand the user impact of this program.

i STRONGLY agree with this point of Asa's.

>> If we believe that sites would check for a user-disabled flag, I think
>> that's a fine idea.   If sites could differentiate between user setting and
>> security blocklisting, they
>> could recommend upgrades to users who have the security block. I'm not sure
>> if they would do that.

> - content has a way of easily discovering that a given plugin is
> installed-but-disabled

i think this is a great idea and that developers will probably use this if we
give it to them,
but best done as a followup item to the rest of the feature.

thanks !
ian