Hi there - I was encouraged to comment here by Ian Melven.

I just wanted to better understand the proposal for dealing with
'invisible' pieces of Flash. Invisible Flash is often used as an audio
fall-back when a particular codec isn't supported natively by the
browser. As co-author of jPlayer (jPlayer.org) which is used to play
audio by sites like Pandora.com I feel that there should be an obvious
way for the user to accept the use of non-visible Flash on sites like
these. Maybe something similar to the geolocation consent dialog?

I proposed this in the following forums recently Hacker News
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3835982 and here on Jared Wein's
blog post
http://msujaws.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/opting-in-to-plugins-in-firefox/comment-page-2/#comment-1739
where Jared responded : "The current implementation includes a
notification icon in the location bar to enable plugins on the page.
Clicking on the icon will display a doorhanger which has a button to
enable plugins."

I'm concerned that this doesn't go far enough - I'm not sure how many
users will notice or understand the significance of a notification
icon in the location bar and am worried that if it is not clear people
will turn away from using browsers like Firefox to browse their
favourite audio sites.

Perhaps this could be revisited at a later stage should Firefox enable
access to the OS's underlying decoders (ie MP3) This would mean of
course that for better or worse there would be much less requirement
to fall back on Flash audio in Firefox.

In general I'm behind the idea of opt-in activation for plugins but --
as has been mentioned a few times in this thread -- I think close
attention needs to be paid to the UX.

Best regards

Mark