On 16/06/12 15:46, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I have remembered the security case for not honoring top-level A
> records: it has to do with abbreviated DNS names used in intranets.
> Suppose http://ai.example.com/ is an internal-use-only server for
> example.com employees, whose computers have all been configured to retry
> NXDOMAINs by tacking '.example.com' on the end,

Is that the common "search suffix" behaviour, then? A typed domain is
tried and if NXDOMAIN is returned, the suffixed versions are tried? It's
never the case that it tries suffixes first?

? and a great deal of
> internal URLs are therefore written http://ai/whatever.  But the retry
> only happens if an A query for ai. returns NXDOMAIN; a public A query
> for ai. that returns an address will *supersede* the expected behavior
> and redirect intended-to-be-private HTTP requests to the external
> server.  Depending on what the internal server does, this could cause a
> disastrous data leak.

Isn't this also a problem for http://foo.corp/ if "corp" gets registered
as a TLD?

Has ICANN 'reserved' some suffixes for internal use which it guarantees
will never be TLDs, to allow smart network admins to avoid this problem?

Gerv