Zack Weinberg wrote:

I confess I see this as another argument for disabling suffix search
altogether.  It breaks *more*, but we get a substantial reduction in
context-dependence of URLs in exchange.

and someone else mentioned doing name resolution without going through
normal OS service calls.

That sounds like a bad idea:  If the browser resolves names differently
from how everything else on the system (host/nslookup, ping, ssh,
mailers, ftp, etc.) resolves names (well, excluding the common browser
case of treating a name that is unresolvable as a host name to be a
search term), that's going to be really confusing.

Daniel