On 19/06/12 17:24, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I think we do need our own DNS resolver eventually (mostly because
> DNSSEC) but it's not necessary for this.  We'd just have to refuse to do
> the DNS query at all for URLs whose hostname component did not contain a
> dot, and/or which was equal to or a suffix of an entry in the public
> suffix list.

Er, I'm confused. If I type "http://email/"; into my browser, you are
saying we should refuse to do a DNS query? How do I then reach my
intranet site? I'm fairly sure some intranet sites _only_ have a
single-word name.

> This would also entail implementing our own *suffix search* logic to
> replace the logic built into gethostbyname/getaddrinfo, so that we
> didn't break the aforementioned intranet sites.

Can we tell those calls not to do their own suffix search before they
return their answer?

> I think there's a case
> for doing that independent of whether we reject top-level A(AAA)
> records: the security problem arises because an external entity changes
> the meaning of an organization-internal URL, and we could fix that by
> doing suffix search *first*.

I suspect, with no evidence, that this might break things...

> (Alternatively we could disable suffix search altogether and see how
> much screaming there is.)

Surely ("don't call me Shirley!") it would be enormous amounts of screaming?

Gerv